Thursday, April 10, 2008

My research thus far

Having my third paper being on how language effects journalism has been difficult for me. I have been looking up journal entries and researching the rules of language. I have also been researching how journalists deal with having to research news that may be in a different language. The most important thing I have found are that there are several rules to remember for journalists. Not only do American journalists have to know the rules of the English language, but that have to follow an Associated Press style.

Most every form of news requires their employees to know the rules of the Associated Press Stylebook. I actually own one of these stylebooks, so I can somewhat relate to the difficulties of learning a new way to write. A lot of the rules are similar, but are just slightly different, which makes it difficult to learn.

Research has shown that language accents also make it hard for journalists. If there is a heavy accent, the journalist might have a problem reporting what is said. Journalists have to deal with all the different accents of the world. This is due to all the immigrants from different parts of the world. A journalist has to be able to understand each of these accents.

Journalists might also find it a problem to communicate with foreigners because of their lack of knowledge of the English language. So if a journalist wants to conduct an interview, they would have to make sure they asked their questions in a way the interviewee would understand it. I had the personal experience in working with a Polish guy last summer, and I learned this lesson myself. I said many things that were natural for me, that he didn't understand. Words that may be common synonyms for us may mean nothing to someone who uses English as a second language. And this is all my research has shown so far.

No comments: