Thursday, March 6, 2008

I have such a gay mind

That sounds bad, so first, I'm going to explain what I mean by that. My word is "gay" because it's so common to me. I was shocked to research this word and find tons of meanings. Back in the day, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, to have a gay mind actually meant you had a good mind. I like to think I have a gay mind. There are so many meanings for gay. It's incredible.

Words change so much. Honestly, I personally think that stupidity is what changes these words. Words start out one way, and I think people who don't know the meaning of the words get them out of context and it just sounds good. An example of this would be the word "hard". This probably doesn't make sense to a lot of you, but when I was in high school, "hard" was used very frequently. If you think of hard, you think of solid. That's not how we had hard at all. The funny thing was, that started with my group of friends, and some people overheard it, and all of a sudden, everyone in the school was saying it. So, here's what hard actually meant.

The word "hard" used alone in our context was used to describe something or someone completely different. The difference was supposed to make this person or thing look "cool", but instead it made it funny and people laughed at it. For example, if I wore a sombraro to school as a fassion statement, people would look at me like I was cool, they would think I was a moron and make fun of me. Therefore, I would be hard. The word hard is derived from the phrase "hard a**." Everything became "hard". When we'd see someone acting stupid for spirit week or something, we would just smile and say, "ooh man, thats hard." To fully understand the concept, maybe one would actually have to hear the word in action. I just hate it that I can't say that word here at UT, because no one would know what it meant.

We can use this example to explain other words changing as well, such as, gay or macho. Maybe these words just sounded cool. Maybe someone just made it up to be funny. I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

No comments: